Fountain of “Su Maimoni”

Lamarmora Square

The fountain might have acquired its name of Maimone from the underground noise of the waters converging into it or from the decoration of the statue surmounting it, as the name recalls in fact the Sardinian divinity associated with the water cult. The marble statue is propped up by two arches arranged in a cross and built with sand and lime. The fountain supplied the city population until 1872, the year in which it was demolished. The statue, instead, was placed in a tub in a private garden, in 1989, it was retrieved, restored and placed back in its original location.

Lascia un commento